Male Breast Reduction (Gynecomastia)
Obtain a flatter, more muscular looking chest by removing excess fat and glandular breast tissue.
Gynecomastia is a condition that causes enlarged breast size in men. True gynecomastia exists when there is an excess of glandular breast tissue behind the nipple-areola-complex (NAC) that causes the breasts to protrude. Excess fatty tissue in overweight individuals can also create the appearance of larger-than-normal breasts in men. The condition can be present in either one or both breasts and affects an estimated 40 to 60 percent of men between the ages of 20 and 50.
The goal of gynecomastia surgery is to remove all extraneous excess breast tissue and/or puffy nipples. Dr. DeLuca accomplishes this by removing over 90% of the mammary gland, leaving just enough glandular tissue to support the nipple-areola-complex and prevent concavity of the areola. Depending on the severity of excess tissue, modified breast reduction and liposuction techniques are used.
Request a Free Consultation
Ask Dr. D a Question
Why Patients Choose Dr. DeLuca to Perform Their Gynecomastia Procedure
As with most cosmetic procedures, the experience and technical ability of the surgeon matter most. The reason for this is that surgeons who posses a high degree of both experience and ability are far less likely to give their patients a sub-par result that leads to complications or requires re-operation. Experience is determined by the number of breast surgeries a surgeon has performed whereas ability is best measured by the consistency and quality of their results (which are best judged by looking through a surgeon’s portfolio of before & after photos).
Dr. DeLuca’s patients, the reasons they selected him because:
- Experience – Dr. DeLuca has performed 1,500+ breast procedures and several hundred male breast reductions. There aren’t many types of gynecomastia that Dr. DeLuca has not already seen or operated on.
- Skill & Technique – Dr. DeLuca has spent 28 years practicing, refining and perfecting the surgical techniques he uses in male breast reduction surgery. This allows him to focus on the artistic aspects of the procedure, namely the sculpting of the chest in a way that compliments the surrounding features and gives the entire torso a more masculine appearance.
- Quality of Results – Dr. DeLuca’s before & after photos (which he will show you during the consultation) provide clarity and confidence to patients unsure of what to expect from breast reduction surgery.
Gynecomastia Cost and Recovery
The cost of this procedure is determined by the extent of the work that you have done. You can discuss your options one-on-one with Dr. DeLuca in order to determine the most effective surgical plan. Post-op, your incisions will be dressed and supportive bandages or garments can help minimize swelling and help your chest heal properly. You may also be given topical or oral medications to encourage the healing process. You can typically resume normal activity after a week and complete recovery should take roughly five to six weeks.
Surgical Options for Gynecomastia
The methods Dr. DeLuca uses to treat your gynecomastia will depend on whether or not excessive glandular breast tissue is present behind the nipple-areola-complex.
- Disproportionally large chest with no glandular tissue – if there isn’t any firm glandular tissue behind the NAC, then liposuction alone may be all that’s needed to reduce the size and improve the shape of your breasts. This is often the case in overweight patients who have an overabundance of smooth, fatty tissue in their breasts.
- Flat chest with puffy nipple-areola-complex – if the chest area is flat and fat-free, but a firm mass of tissue is present behind the NAC, then simple excision through a small incision around the areola that removes the tissue is all that’s needed.
- Larger-than-desired chest with only a little glandular tissue – the vast majority of patients fall into this category. In these cases, a little bit of liposuction is combined with a small excision to achieve an optimally shaped chest area.
- Excess, hanging skin due to extreme weight loss – for patients with excess, inelastic skin due to weight loss, sometimes a more traditional “breast reduction + lift” approach is needed to achieve the best result possible.
The Importance of Care Both Before & After Gynecomastia Surgery
In order to achieve the best possible results from your procedure to correct gynecomastia, supportive post-operative care is a must. Dr. DeLuca offers all cosmetic patients his personal cell phone number and is available 24/7 (either by phone or email). Patients come in for a series of check-ups one week, one month, and two months following surgery. If, at any time, you wish to meet with Dr. DeLuca, he will open up his schedule to see you. Post-operative appointments at DeLuca Plastic Surgery are at no cost to you.
Request a Free Gynecomastia Consultation or
Call DeLuca Plastic Surgery today at 518-724-2444.